Slaughter of Innocents


NOTE: This incident took place in what is now the Town of Digby, Nova Scotia, in 1759, at what is now called the Annapolis Basin Look-Off Provincial Park (formerly known as Crowley's Point). A copy of the original publication can be viewed at http://www.ourroots.ca/e/viewpage.asp?ID=297358&size=3 .

Isaiah W. Wilson's Geography and History of Digby County provides a chilling account of one of the many horrors visited upon the Mi'kmaq in Nova Scotia. The content of the account makes it appear that the massacre was related to the British scalp Proclamation of 1756. However, because of the fact that they did their best to kill all the unarmed villagers, it comes across as if they were following the provisions of the 1749 scalp Proclamation, which was issued with the intent to exterminate the Mi'kmaq Nation. The entire village was attacked and wiped out.

Consequently, the government raised volunteers to hunt down the aborigines,
offering a premium of twenty-five pounds per male above sixteen years of age,
and twenty-five pounds for every female prisoner, the same price for a Man's scalp,
and ten pounds for a child prisoner(s). These volunteer companies were placed
under command of Colonel Scott and Major Samuel Rogers.

The following graphic account of an engagement near the latter town was related to
the author in 1873 by an old resident, since deceased, who received it from a Mr.
Richard Robert Annabury, one of thepursuing party, who subsequently lived and died
much respected at Trout Cove, near Centreville.

Intelligence having reached Annapolis in the Autumn of 1759, that a hostile Micmac
settlement existed at Green, now Crowley's Point, on the North side of the Racket.

The next morning before day break near the property of the late Sheriff Taylor,
Major Rogers surveyed the Indian village and its rude inhabitants, as he put it. Later,
Rogers rejoined his company and reported, "I see the Indians are in a great frolic,
they will retire at day break." Now, my boys, be prepared to meet them in the
morning before they awake.

Those brave defenders of English Liberty marched boldly after day break, attacked
the aborigines asleep in their camps, killing their Chief on the spot.

The savages thus surprised, being destitute of any effective weapons of defense, fled
in disorder before the disciplined pursuers, who followed the skulking tribe along
the shore to Rogers Point so called in consequence, near the light house.

Here, most of them were slain, some being shot on the shore, while others plunged
into the waters and drowned, a miserable remnant escaped to the woods, and
probably resolved to court the friendship of their conquerors, through the
praiseworthy influence of their first Catholic missionary, Abbé Antoine-Simon

Since, the notable burial of the hatchet in the presence of the Governor and Colonial
Parliament took place in Halifax 1761, sealed the Articles of Peace and Amity
between Great Britain and the Sons of the forests.

The author seems to take pride in the "accomplishments" of the volunteers against unarmed and defenceless people. Even after the passage of a century, educated individuals like Mr. Wilson saw no wrong in the slaughter of unarmed and innocent human beings for money.

Please visit these URLs to read more about British barbarities


Click to read about American Indian Genocide

A better understanding of the before mentioned can be had by reading: First Nations History - We Were Not the Savages - 2006 Edition